Do you enjoy introducing children to nature, hiking, bird watching, identifying local flora and fauna, or even rafting?
You can share your love for the powerful experience of being in nature with our local Yuba and Nevada County youth by becoming a Salmon Expedition Naturalist!
The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL) is leading SALMON EXPEDITION RAFTING TRIPS for local Yuba & Nevada county 3rd-12th graders. We are currently looking for volunteer naturalists to teach our students during this incredible outdoor classroom opportunity!
SYRCL is seeking volunteer naturalists to educate youth about salmon life cycles, ecology and human impact of on the Yuba Watershed. We will introduce students to the spectacular journey of wild Chinook salmon as they make their way from the ocean to their ancestral spawning waters. Our program’s field trips run every weekday from October 3-November 18. We ask that Salmon Naturalists volunteer at least 3 days throughout the program. However, you can join us for as many trips as you’d like!
What does the commitment of being a SYRCL Volunteer Naturalist entail, exactly?
- Enthusiasm for working with kids of all ages in an outdoor setting!
- Complete a LiveScan background check (paid by SRYCL)
- Attend Two trainings on September 21 and 22.
- Have availability during weekdays between 8am – 3pm
Volunteer Activities on a Salmon Expedition Include:
- Lead students in naturalist activities on or off the water
- Support SYRCL trip leaders in Salmon Expedition logistics (e.g. helping hand out gear, keeping students safe and on task, etc.)
Training 1- Orientation & Program Overview
- Date: Wednesday, Sep. 21
- Time: 5:00 -7:00pm
- Location: SYRCL Office (zoom available if you are unable to make it in person)
Training 2- On River Training
- Date: Thursday, Sep. 22
- Time: 9am-3pm
- Location: Parks Bar Put In (off of Highway 20 towards Marysville, right before the bridge)
If you are interested in becoming a Salmon Naturalist, or want more information about the trainings or any of the program’s commitments, please visit our website, or contact Monique Streit, the SYRCL River Education Manager, either via email at email@example.com, or by calling 530-265-5961 ext. 218.
We couldn’t offer this program without our fabulous volunteers! Thank you for considering volunteering as a Salmon Naturalist! Looking forward to seeing you on the river this fall!
Did you enjoy this post?
Get new SYRCL articles delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our ENews.