Youth Outdoor Leadership Opportunity this Summer
Does your student love science and the outdoors?
SYRCL is offering a free week-long summer science program for local high school students to learn about meadow ecosystems and assessing montane meadow health. Applications for SYRCL’s Youth Outdoor Leadership Opportunity (YOLO) are due Friday, May 10, 2019.
Throughout the program, YOLO participants will work alongside SYRCL River Science staff, who will serve as mentors to help develop real-world scientific skills. Participants will study the impacts of human activity on meadow health and discover how meadows can be restored and conduct biological surveys to assess meadow species richness and diversity, hydrologic regime, and meadow restoration success. Building a strong network will be a tremendous help in future aspirations, such as applying to colleges and employment opportunities.
Sierra Nevada mountain meadows have been disturbed by historic land use activities such as forestry practices, mining, over-grazing, climate change and fire suppression. Because of their unique features, mountain meadows are areas of high species diversity, serving as a haven for many plants and animals. These meadows serve as carbon sinks, making them an important resource for carbon sequestration and they collect precipitation and store it underground; filtering water and slowly releasing it to lower elevations.
Many thanks to The National Forest Foundation for making this opportunity possible!
- 5-day opportunity to learn about meadow ecosystems, scientific monitoring, and ecosystem restoration.
- Lunch and snacks will be provided.
- Most of the time will be spent outdoors at Loney Meadow in the Tahoe National Forest. Physical work and hiking are expected.
- Overnight options are available for students with a longer commute (with all food provided).
- Choose from one of two, 1-week sessions:
- June 24 – 28, 2019
- July 29 – August 2, 2019
- Each day, participants will meet at the SYRCL office at 8AM and return at 5PM. Transportation from our office to Loney Meadow and back to our office, will be provided.
- June 24 – 28, 2019
- A mandatory orientation will be held on Saturday, May 18 and Sunday, May 19 at 9AM – 3PM at the SYRCL office.
- Preference given to students who will be in 10th – 12th grade for the 2019 – 20 school year.