Join SYRCL’s AmeriCorps Team
Do you love the Sierra Nevada? Want to help restore and protect the Yuba watershed, while gaining valuable environmental, professional experience?
SYRCL is seeking enthusiastic, conservation-minded people to commit to a year of service to protect Sierra natural resources and sustainable communities. During the year, SNAP members will gain skills and technical training, mentor with outstanding environmental leaders and receive an education award at the successful completion of service.
Deadline to apply is July 24, 2020. Interviews will begin in early August.
Since 2007, the SNAP Program has restored more than 16,000 watershed acres, monitored more than 3,800 ecological sites, educated more than 180,000 individuals, recruited more than 37,500 volunteers, and contributed more than 550,000 hours of service! SNAP members are on the frontline of protecting and restoring the Sierra Nevada, and they truly embody the mission of the Sierra Nevada Alliance by “Serving the Sierra.”
Responsibilities & Projects:
Members will serve full-time, from mid-October 2020 through mid-September 2021. Projects & responsibilities will vary depending on service positions and will be based on watershed restoration and assessment, watershed education and outreach, and volunteer recruitment and management. For more detailed service descriptions, please visit: https://sierranevadaalliance.org/join-snap/.
SYRCL will be hiring for 3 positions this year:
- Restoration Coordinator
- Primary Responsibilities: Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate Sierra meadow restoration projects, floodplain restoration projects, and invasive species control.
- River Monitoring Coordinator
- Primary Responsibilities: Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate our 20-year running watershed water quality monitoring program, mercury monitoring, frog habitat monitoring, and temperature monitoring programs.
- Outreach & Education Coordinator
- Primary Responsibilities: Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate the 10th year of SYRCL’s River Ambassador Program and do outreach at community events.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED (higher education degrees are highly recommended).
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must not have a criminal history that precludes the applicant’s ability to serve as an AmeriCorps member.
- Must not have been released for cause from a previous AmeriCorps term of service.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Monthly stipend.
- Standard health insurance.
- Up to 340 hours of technical, ecological and skills-development training throughout the year.
- AmeriCorps Education Award will be granted upon completion of the program for use on existing qualified student loans or future higher education expenses.
How to Apply:
- Download the 2020-21 SNAP Member Application Packet here.
- Fill out the SNAP online application by clicking here. See sample application in the application packet.
- Apply to the SNAP Program through the My AmeriCorps website.
- Email your resume and a 1-page cover letter stating your interest in the SNAP Member position and your best qualifications for the position to email@example.com. Be sure to title your email subject: “SNAP Application 2020-21”.
- All four parts (SNAP Application, My AmeriCorps Application, Resume & Cover Letter) must be completed by July 24, 2020, or your application won’t be considered.
Deadline to Apply: July 24, 2020!
For more information please contact:
Rachel Durben, Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership, Program Director
firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 542-4546 ext. 705
Daniel Belshe, South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL), Community Engagement Manager
email@example.com or (530) 265- 5961 ext. 201
Alecia Weissman, South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL), River Science Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 265- 5961 ext. 224
All submissions are confidential. The Sierra Nevada Alliance and AmeriCorps are equal opportunity employers. We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our SNAP Positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.