Over half of the South Yuba River corridor is public land, managed by the California Department of Parks and Recreation (State Parks) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). State Parks has experienced severe budget cuts in recent years resulting in services being drastically reduced. With an estimated 700,000+ people visiting the South Yuba River State Park every year and the thousands of pounds of trash removed during SYRCL’s Annual Yuba River Cleanup, the River Ambassador program was developed to prevent the South Yuba River from being “loved to death.”
River Ambassadors are volunteers taking action to motivate and educate the community to care for the South Yuba River! This dedicated team promotes an ethic of responsible, non-polluting use of the river by speaking one-on-one with visitors at crossings, beaches and on trails. Using a friendly, non-confrontational approach, River Ambassadors educate folks about the polluting impacts of trash and dog waste, the dangers of broken glass, and the catastrophic potential of wildfire.
The 2017 River Ambassadors Season begins on May 16th with our volunteer training! AND we are hiring for River Captains!
River Ambassadors will:
- Meet new friends who are passionate about the river!
- Receive comprehensive training from SYRCL and State Park staff
- Commit to 3-5 weekend shifts between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Inspire river stewardship at Bridgeport, 49, Purdon, and Edwards crossing.
- REGISTER: please fill out the Volunteer Application and click River Ambassadors to let us know you are interested in joining the team for the 2017 summer season.
Partners and Supporters
SYRCL extends its appreciation to the business community and to the dedicated volunteers that make this program possible. To see a full list of local businesses that sponsored last year’s Annual Yuba River Cleanup and River Ambassador program financially, please click here. SYRCL is grateful to California State Parks for their help in creating and facilitating this program, and the South Yuba River Park Association for their support as well.