- This event has passed.
Rivers Lab: The Book Club for River Geeks
April 25, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pmFREE
Do you consider yourself a River Geek?
Come join the rest of us, at Rivers Lab: the book club for river geeks!
At this month’s Rivers Lab, we will be discussing another very interesting topic, California water policy in honor of Know Your Watershed Month! To do this, we will all be jumping out of pure science and into law. For that reason, it would be great to give yourself some extra time to read these papers, make sure you have a reference sheet for writing down acronyms on, and make sure to read each paper in one sitting. Find the papers in dropbox. We hope to see you there!
Rivers Lab is a paper/report reading and discussion group assembled so that we can, as a community of river lovers, learn more about the systems we work in and have a chance to ask questions, discuss, and enjoy each other’s company!
Rivers Lab is a no pressure environment and a great way to learn more about the ecosystems surrounding us. Encourage your friends to join, even if they don’t consider themselves “science-y” people!
Here’s how Rivers Lab works:
- We will meet from 12:00-1:00 on the last Thursday of every month in SYRCL’s conference room (brown bag lunch).
- Everyone reads the papers (1-2 papers per month)
- Be on time, show up 5 minutes early even!
- Four people will take on roles each month to help stimulate the discussion:
- Article Reviewer: This person will provide a 5 min article review at the beginning of the discussion summarizing the main points (1 person per paper)
- Discussion Lead: This person will lead the discussion of the paper making sure it stays on track and covers the main points – prepare at least 5 questions (2 person per paper)
- The Scribe: This person will take 5 minutes at the end to summarizes the discussion, noting key points, clarifications, and disagreements and sends notes out to group via Dropbox (1 person per paper)
If you have any questions or would like to join the email list,
please contact Asia Jones at: email@example.com or 530.265.5961 ext. 216.
We look forward to some fun and engaging discussions! See you there!