Do you enjoy introducing children to nature, hiking, bird watching, identifying local flora and fauna, or even rafting?
You can share your love for nature with our local Yuba and Nevada County youth by becoming a Salmon Expedition Naturalist!
The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL) is leading Salmon Expedition Rafting Trips for local Yuba & Nevada county 3rd through 12th graders. We are currently looking for Salmon Naturalists to teach our students during this incredible outdoor classroom opportunity!
Volunteer naturalists educate youth about salmon life cycles, ecology, and human impacts on the Yuba watershed. Salmon Naturalists introduce students to the spectacular journey of Chinook salmon as they make their way from the ocean to their ancestral spawning waters. Trainings are being held September 23rd and 27th. Our program’s field trips run every weekday from October 4 through November 12.
We ask that Salmon Naturalists volunteer at least 3 days. However, you can join us for as many trips as you’d like, based on your availability!
What does the commitment of being a SYRCL Volunteer Naturalist entail, exactly?
- Enthusiasm for working with kids of all ages in an outdoor setting!
- COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination
- Complete a background check (paid by SRYCL)
- Two trainings on September 23 and 27.
Training #1- Orientation Style Training
- Date: Thursday, Sep. 23
- Time: 5:30 -7:00pm
- Location: Zoom
- Please register for training here: https://yubariver.volunteerlocal.com/volunteer/?id=57340
Training #2- A “Dry-Run” of the Expedition on the Yuba River
- Date: Monday, Sep. 27
- Time: 9am-3pm
- Please register for training here: https://yubariver.volunteerlocal.com/volunteer/?id=57341
- Location: Parks Bar Put In (off of Highway 20 towards Marysville, right before the bridge)
Volunteer Activities on a Hiking or Float Trip Include:
- Lead students in naturalist activities on and off the water
- Support SYRCL trip leaders in Salmon Expedition logistics (e.g. helping hand out gear, keeping students on task, etc.)
If you are interested in becoming a Naturalist, or want more information about the trainings or any of the program’s commitments, contact Monique Streit, the SYRCL River Education Manager, either via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 530-265-5961 ext. 218. To register for trainings click the buttons below.
We couldn’t offer this program without our fabulous volunteers! Thank you for considering volunteering as a Salmon Naturalist! Looking forward to seeing you on the river this fall!