SYRCL Accepts Gifts of Appreciated Stocks, Bonds and Mutual Funds
In addition to cash donations, SYRCL also accepts gifts of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds (“securities”). A gift of appreciated securities could offer significant benefits to donors, such as an immediate charitable deduction for the full market value of the stock and avoidance of capital gains taxes that would normally be due upon sale.
How to give stock and other securities to SYRCL:
- Instruct your broker to transfer shares to the South Yuba River Citizens League (our federal tax id number is 68-0171371)
- Provide your broker with this transfer information:
- Registration: South Yuba River Citizens League
- Account No.: 76188968
- DTC: 0547
- Firm: RW Baird
- Phone: 530-271-3000
- Contact: Janice Dunn, RW Baird
- Contact Julie Pokrandt, Development Director at SYRCL, firstname.lastname@example.org, (530) 265-5961 x214 to notify us about the number and type of shares you are donating.
Possible Benefits – for specifics please consult your tax advisor
- Receiving an income tax deduction for the fair market value of the stock gift on the date transferred to SYRCL (there could be limitations for securities held less than one year)
- Paying no capital gains tax on the appreciated stock
A Definite Benefit
- Making a big impact for SYRCL without reducing your on-hand cash
An important note on depreciated stock – for specifics please consult your tax advisor
- If you own stock that is now worth less than when you purchased it, consult your tax advisor about the possible advantages of selling the stock yourself, donating the proceeds to SYRCL, and claiming a capital loss on your tax return.
Additional information about donating stocks to charities can be found on this FACT SHEET by Schwab Charitable.
Also, SYRCL members can leave a legacy for the future and health of our watershed by including the organization in their will.
I hereby give ______* to the South Yuba river citizens League, Tax ID #68-0171371, a river conservation organization, to support their mission.
*Fill in the blank with the dollar amount, percentage of estate, or specific property you intend to give SYRCL.
If you would like to include SYRCL in your estate plans, we recommend contacting your attorney or estate planner. If you have included SYRCL in your estate plans, please let us know so we may thank you.