Do you love the Sierra Nevada? Want to help restore and protect the Yuba watershed?
Do you want to gain valuable environmental professional experience?
Apply to work at SYRCL and become one of the 28 Members of the 2016-2017 Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership (SNAP)!
SYRCL is seeking enthusiastic, conservation-minded people to commit to a year of service to protect Sierra natural resources and sustainable communities. During the year, SNAP members will gain skills and technical training, mentor with outstanding environmental leaders and receive an education award at the successful completion of service. Deadline to apply is July 27, 2016. Interviews will begin in early August.
Since 2007, more than 175 SNAP Members have served at 34 Sierra conservation organizations and agencies to:
- Restore more than 14,000 acres of habitat,
- Monitor more than 1,200 ecological sites,
- Educate more than 155,000 people,
- Recruit more than 30,000 community volunteers to serve their local Sierra watersheds, and
- Contribute more than 450,000 service hours!
Responsibilities & Projects:
Members will serve full-time, from mid-October 2016 through mid-September 2017. Projects & responsibilities will vary depending on service positions and will be based on watershed restoration and assessment, watershed education and outreach, and volunteer recruitment and management. For more detailed service descriptions, please visit https://sierranevadaalliance.com/programs/sierra-nevada-americorps-partnership/join/.
SYRCL will be hiring for 3 positions this year:
- Restoration Coordinator
- Primary Responsibilities: Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate Sierra meadow restoration projects, floodplain restoration projects, and invasive species control.
- River Monitoring Coordinator
- Primary Responsibilities: Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate our 15-year running watershed water quality monitoring program, mercury monitoring, frog habitat monitoring, and temperature monitoring programs.
- Stewardship Coordinator
- Primary Responsibilities: Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate the 5th year of SYRCL’s River Ambassador Program and do outreach at community events.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the U.S.
- Must have a minimum of a High School Diploma or GED (higher education degrees are highly recommended).
- Must be a minimum of 18 years or older.
- Must not have a criminal history that precludes the applicant’s ability to serve as an AmeriCorps member.
- Must not have been released for cause from a previous AmeriCorps term of service.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Monthly stipend of $1,254 per month.
- Standard health insurance.
- Up to 340 hours of technical, ecological and skills-development training throughout the year.
- AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,775 will be granted upon completion of the program for use on existing qualified student loans or future higher education expenses.
How to Apply:
- Download the SNAP Member Application Packet with detailed application instructions at: https://sierranevadaalliance.com/programs/sierra-nevada-americorps-partnership/join/.
- Fill out the online SNAP Member application.
- Email your resume and a 1-page cover letter stating your interest in the SNAP Member position and your best qualifications for the position to email@example.com. Be sure to title your email subject: “SNAP Application 2016-17”.
Deadline to Apply: July 27, 2016!
For more information please contact:
Lynn Baumgartner, Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership Program Director
firstname.lastname@example.org or (530) 542-4546 ext. 705
Rachel Hutchinson, South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL) River Science Director
Rachel@syrcl.org or (530) 265- 5961 ext. 205
The Sierra Nevada Alliance and the Sierra Nevada AmeriCorps Partnership conform to all laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to the SNAP Program. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
AmeriCorps is a network of local, state, and national service programs that connect more than 70,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet our country’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. AmeriCorps members serve with more than 2,000 nonprofits, public agencies, and faith-based and community organizations.
All submissions are confidential. The Sierra Nevada Alliance and AmeriCorps are equal opportunity employers.