The South Yuba River Citizens League (SYRCL) is commemorating our 30th anniversary of uniting the community to protect and restore the Yuba River with a terrific year of celebratory events. We invite you to experience the Yuba River watershed with us from mountain top passes with stellar views of the surrounding peaks to trails removing invasive weeds or trees to breathe life back into the aspen forests. Come taste delicious wines and beer with your friends while bidding competitively on auction items to help raise funds to continue our efforts. Mark your calendars and invite your friends and family too!
- March 16: Snowshoe Excursion with SYRCL Staff, Miriam Limov –Adventure on an all-day delightful snowshoe trek from Donner Summit up to Castle Pass in the South Yuba River’s watershed! No experience necessary with basic lessons available on the trail. During lunch while overlooking Donner Summit, you will learn about the water and land issues of the headwaters of the South Yuba River. For more information or to register today contact Miriam Limov at Miriam@syrcl.orgor (530) 265-5961 ext. 201 (minimal fee)
- March/April: Scotch Broom Challenge – (Several dates to be determined) Although admired for its yellow blossoms, the Scotch broom shrub is a fierce invasive species quickly out-competing our precious native plants. Help us remove this non-native plant as SYRCL adopted site on the South Yuba River. Contact Adele Rife, SYRCL’s AmeriCorps Restoration Coordinator to register or for more information at email@example.com or (530) 265-5961 ext. 218 (no fee)
- April 20: 3rd Annual Wild for the Yuba –An evening of wine and beer tastings from two dozen wineries and breweries. Enjoy beverages, fine food, live music and mingle with your friends at the Grass Valley Veterans Memorial Hall. ($35/$40 with a discounted rate for designated drivers)
- June 8: The Return of the Auction –The famous silent and live auction returns at a new location – the North Star House Mine. Browse and bid on hundreds of donated items to help support SYRCL’s programs while feasting on fabulous food and grooving to live music. (admission to be determined)
- July/August: Meadow Aspen Restoration– (Dates to be determined) Restoration of mountain meadows is a strategic priority for SYRCL’s work to make our watershedhealthier and more resilient to climate change. Our focus this year is the restoration of Sierra Aspen which are in extreme decline from conifer encroachment and changes in natural fire and hydrology regimes. But you can help! Come out with us to learn about meadow ecosystems and help restore aspen tree habitat, one of the Sierra Nevada’s biodiversity hotspots! (no fee)
- September 21: 16th Annual Greater Yuba River Cleanup and Restoration Day – Over 150,000 pounds of trash and recycling have been removed from the Yuba watershed in the past 15 years of cleanup days keeping the debris out of the river which would otherwise negatively affect the ecosystem. Registration for your favorite site begins in mid-August for over 35 sites in the Yuba and Bear River watersheds. More than 650 volunteers scoured the trails, beaches and hillsides last year, ranging in age from 1 year old to 80 years old. Be a part of this fantastic event that brings the community together to keep our watershed healthy and clean. (free)
- October/November: Salmon Tours –Salmon Tours give participants direct experience with threatened Chinook salmon, benthic macroinvertebrates (BMIs), riparian zones, and Yuba River ecology from a raft or from the trails. Additionally, you can view SYRCL’s current Hammon Bar Restoration Project which is restoring riparian vegetation to the Yuba Goldfields on the river. Registration begins in August. (fee)
Check our events page often as information is updated.
Join us this year to celebrate a remarkable effort by a diligent community to keep SYRCL thriving for 30 years – be a part of these exciting opportunities in the Yuba River watershed to learn about the issues, experience the joys of this beautiful land and expand the friendly network of SYRCL members and supporters!